William Alan Rickertsen
15838 El Soccorro Loop, Corpus Christi, TX 78418
Home 361.867.1291 * Cell 308.529.1300
I am semi-retired after 50 years of owning and operating my own businesses. After two years in the Army and a two-year vacation, in 1972 I joined my father and brother in their farming operation. From 1972 to 1984, we grew to be one of the largest family owned and operated farming operations in Nebraska. Our fields of irrigated corn stretched 200 miles North to South and 100 miles East to West. From 1980 through 1983, I authored and recorded a weekly 5-minute radio show, addressing agricultural issues. In 1984, due to extremely high interest rates and a bad hail storm, we lost almost everything. In 1987 my wife and I started a trucking company and within twenty years we were operating a fleet of 75 trucks and 100 trailers, picking up and delivering loads throughout US and southern Canada. In 2009, this business generated $12+ million in revenue and showed a net profit of $1 million dollars. I have spent many months driving a truck and I have been on every interstate highway in the 48 states. In 2003, we started a sister brokerage business, brokering truckloads of commodities in bulk, also throughout the US and Canada. By 2009, this business was generating an additional $10+ million in revenue per year. From 1980 through 1986 I had a real estate license and did farmland property management. My brother and I owned and operated, and I was a licensed agent for an insurance agency from 1985 until 2003 specializing in crop insurance. From 2005 through 2012, I owned and operated a business that bought and sold bad debts and collected on them. I have bought and sold several thousand acres of agriculture land and I have built, used and sold three office buildings. Along the way I have hired, fired and trained a few hundred employees and there is no telling how many Owner/Operators we (my wife & I) have helped (financed) get into the trucking business. I have borrowed millions of dollars from many different banks, insurance companies and private people. From 2010 through 2016, my wife and I owned and operated a working cattle ranch, growing it 0 cows to a 400+ head cow-calf herd. During this time, I worked cattle, pulled baby calves, rode horses, trained horses and doctored sick cattle. Over the years, I have bought and sold millions of dollars of farm and trucking equipment. I have been on all sides of numerous lawsuits, including several where I acted as my own attorney and I won “most” of them.
From having a net worth of $1,000,000.00 in 1982, to less than $50,000.00 at the beginning of 1986, we retired as multi-millionaires in 2017. We (my wife & I) have given away and/or tithed hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years.
In March 2017, my wife and I moved to Corpus Christi, TX and now I have time to “give back”, so I started a little business as a business consultant and now I am helping business owners that may need some advice, a little push or even advised to fold.
I am also willing to speak to and/or work with any type of groups about making and keeping $$, goals setting, handling $$, $$ problems and/or basic business principals. This I am willing to do free of charge.
I am not a lawyer, an accountant and/or a licensed financial advisor and I do not hold myself out to be any of the above, but I have a lot of hands on experience and I have spent countless sleepless nights figuring out problems and maybe I can help others get more sleep.
I have millions of dollars’ worth of experience and I am willing to pass it on to others. I am a money maker and I am 100% business, 100% of the time.
- Created and operated several mult-million-dollar business.
- Hired, trained, and managed 200+ employees.
- Along with my wife, designed and built accounting systems, that handled 1,000’s of entries each month, to track our business.
- Co-owned and operated a 13,000-acre irrigated farm.
- Marketed millions of bushels of corn, soybeans, wheat, thousands of tons hay. Along with hundreds of head of cattle.
- 50 years of experience with Ag commodity futures and options markets.
- Led the planning and achievement of goals for each of our businesses.
- Produced businesses plans that focused on all aspects of operations, including setting priorities and job assignments.
- Designed and acted as the general contractor for the construction of and the remodeling of several office buildings.
- Have a pilot’s license, with twin- engine, land, rating.
- Have a 25-year award for a safe and at-fault accident free driving record in a class A commercial vehicle.
- Excellent customer relations.
- Developed and communicated all company policies to employees.
- Oversaw accounting, payroll, AP and AR and verified that proper procedures were followed.
- Developed and achieved financial and growth goals.
- Budgeted for and generated copy for many advertising campaigns. Also, wrote and recorded a weekly radio show and numerous radio ads.
- Licensed real estate salesperson from 1980 to 1986.
- Licensed crop insurance agent from 1985 – 2005.
- Have tithed and/or gifted hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Have 50 years of business experience.
Semi-retired – 2017-present
North Padre Island, Corpus Christi, TX
- Started a “part time” Business Consulting business.
- GRC Business Consulting.
Owner/Operator, with wife – 2010-2017
Rickertsen Cattle Co. – Cozad, NE
- Purchased a small broken-down ranch.
- Remodeled the ranch house, burned all the out buildings and built new buildings.
- Grew from 0 to 400+ head of Angus stock cows.
- Put up 100’s of tons of hay.
- Did all the jobs that are required to run a working cattle ranch.
- Trained and used working cattle dogs.
Pen Rider – 2012–2013
Gothenburg Livestock – Gothenburg, NE
- Penned cattle, horse-back.
- Sorted cattle, horse-back.
- Moved cattle from pen to pen, horse-back.
Owner-Operator, with wife – Secretary/Treasurer – 1991-2010
Skyview Farms, Inc.-Gothenburg, NE
- Started trucking company with two tractor-trailer rigs.
- Expanded fleet to 75 tractors and 100 trailers in 2010.
- Acquired operating authorities to operate in 48 states and southern Canada.
- Hired, fired and trained several hundred employees.
- Trained several hundred truck drivers.
- Log several hundred thousand miles delivering loads myself. I have been in each of the 48 states many times and in every Providence along the southern tier of Canada from British Columbia to Nova Scotia.
- In over twenty-five years of driving semi’s I have never had an “at-fault” accident.
- Built a list of over one thousand customers, all over the US and Canada.
- Never missed paying a driver for a load, even if we did not get paid.
- Built the company into “the premier” carrier of “commodities in bulk” in the country.
- In March 2010, we sold the business to our two sons and daughters-in-law. One son and his wife still own the company and it is bigger and better than ever before.
Owner-Operator, with wife – Secretary/Treasurer – 2002-2010
Skyview Transportation, Inc.-Gothenburg, NE
- In partnership with my wife, started a brokerage business that moved truckloads of “commodities in bulk” throughout the US and Canada.
- In 2009, this business generated over $10 million dollars in gross revenue.
- This business was sold to our two sons in 2010 and it is still operating at a profit.
Owner-Operator – 2005-2012
MEI, Inc.-Gothenburg, NE
- I bought out other shareholders of this corporations.
- Started and grew a business that traded in and collected on past due debts.
- I ran this business by myself, as sort of a hobby.
- In 2010, MEI, Inc., owned $500,000.00 in past due debts.
- In 2012, this business was also sold to our sons.
- Secretary/Treasurer of this corporation.
Shareholder, Licensed Agent – 1985-2003
MEI, Inc. – Gothenburg, NE
- Formed new corporation with two other people.
- Started an insurance agency that “specialized” in providing crop insurance to area ag producers.
- One of three licensed agents selling crop insurance through this agency. Both straight hail policies and federal multi-peril policies.
- Managed the office, did all the bookkeeping and kept up with the rules and regulations concerning the operation of an insurance agency.
- Secretary/Treasurer of this corporation.
Partner, Salesperson, Office Manager – 1980-1984
Agri Systems Service Co. – Dickens, Ne
- Started a business that sold and serviced pivot irrigation systems in SW Nebraska.
- Worked with pivot manufacture reps.
- Ordered and inventoried parts for servicing irrigation systems.
- Managed and worked on the crews that erected new and/or repaired damaged systems.
Radio Commentator – 1980-1983
KRVN Radio – Lexington, NE
- Wrote and recorded a weekly 5-minute radio show, commenting on Agricultural issues.
Real Estate Salesperson – 1980-1986
Coldwell Banker – North Platte, NE
- Property manager for crop and pasture land.
- Hosted open houses.
- Created ad copy for listed properties.
Owner-Operator, Partner with Father and Brother, Secretary/Treasurer – 1972-1991
Skyview Farms, Inc.-Gothenburg, NE
- Partner in a multi-million-dollar family farming operation.
- I preformed all jobs from general laborer to Chief Financial Officer.
- Grew farm from 2,500 acres in 1972 to 13,000 acres in 1984.
- Marketed 1,000’s of bushels of grain.
- Used futures and option markets.
- When bank withdrew our operating line of credit at the end of 1984, I dealt with numerous creditors over a two-year period to facilitate the best possible outcome for all involved. No creditor was ignored and by the end of 1986, I had signed agreements with all creditors.
- In 1991, dissolved partnership with Father and Brother by first, agreeing on a value for each piece of owned equipment and then second, dividing the equipment between the three of us by each of us taking what we wanted. If more than one person wanted a certain piece, we flipped a coin. After dividing equipment, we paid each other the differences.
United States Army – 1968-1970
- Four months of artillery training.
- Eighteen months of service in the First Infantry Division, in an artillery battery.
- Preformed all jobs related to firing and operating a 155mm self-propelled Howitzer.
- Honorable discharged as an Sargent E5.
General Labor – Local Farmer – 1967
Milford France – Gothenburg, NE
- Operated Farm equipment & irrigated crops.
- Mixed ratios & fed cattle.
- Worked & doctored cattle.
High School Diploma: 1967
Gothenburg High School – Gothenburg, NE